For my second 36 Days of Type challenge, I illustrated a set of female figures in the shape of each A-Z letter and 0-9 digit.
The annual global design challenge is to create a cohesive set of 36 letterforms in as many days. My goal this year was to loosen up and have fun with my character shapes, opting for expressiveness over anatomical accuracy.
I started with rough thumbnail sketches in a 6x6 grid to jot down my initial ideas. When I was happy with the basic concept, I transferred the small sketch into a new document, enlarged it, and refined it, adding colour, pattern, and details.
I limited my colour palette to 7 risograph colours using brushes in Procreate on the iPad. This gave me the texture I was looking for, as well as the flexibility to vary the background colours and still create enough emphasis against the different skin tones of the figures.
I kept the shapes, patterns, and colours simple and playful – exploring different ways to translate female forms into recognisable letterforms.
As I got further into the project, I became more open to pushing the proportions of the figures and exaggerating shapes to make an emotional connection and communicate an idea more effectively. I look forward to using what I've learned in this challenge to stretch my imagination further and explore more creative character designs in the future.